Four deaths have been reported during circumcision ceremonies in the Eastern Cape, the province’s health department said.
According to a health department spokesperson, some of the victims also showed signs of having been beaten. The four boys had been from the Port St Johns, Qumbu, Ngqeleni, and Chris Hani districts.
“The Port St Johns boy had a septic penis and swollen knee, suggesting beatings. The 29-year-old initiate from Qumbu is suspected to have defaulted from his chronic medication but confirmation will be revealed on Monday after an autopsy,” spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said in a News24 report.
Kupelo said that another boy was being treated at the Mthatha Regional Hospital for a septic penis and a fractured arm.
Published: 29 Jun 2015, By Zunaid Ismael
© Copyright 2002-2014 iafrica.com